Brand Corporate Identity - Project 2/ Developing a Logo

Brand Corporate Identity - Project 2/ Developing a Logo
14/04/20 - 12/05/20 (Week 1 - Week 6)
Sia Man Sheng
0333877

INSTRUCTIONS



Week 02 21/04/20

 We have started with project 2 and project 3 at the same time, the creative brief is done in project 3. So I am designing logo for a brand I am going to create, which is a recreational place for people with stress to get a break from their daily routine. It is a combination of homestay and farm where people could enjoy the happiness of harvesting their own organic food and meet new friends here. Here would be the first 20 sketches of my logo ideas:


Figure 1: Sketches


Week 03 05/05/20

After consultation with Ms Low, she advised me to go with the emblem in the modern version or a wordmark. Here is the continued idea of exploration. I keep coming up with new ideas. Hence, I also sketch them out.

Figure 1: Sketches

Figure 2: Sketches

Figure 3: Sketches


Week 04 05/05/20

Last week what not suppose to do is keep on exploring new ideas, I should only refine. However, the sketches in week 03 are weak, hence, I still refine on the logo she selected in week 02 (Emblem & wordmark).
Figure 4: Sketches

Figure 5: Sketches

Week 05 12/05/20

After her my idea last week, she has suggested me to things to improve on: for the emblem, I could make the wordmark as the focus instead of an icon; for the wordmark, I can just apply the paddy shape I have and without other elements, then I was just to further refine base on the 2 logos below.

Figure 6: Idea showed by Ms Low

Figure 7: Sketches

Figure 8: Sketches

Week 06 19/05/20

She has selected no. 12 & no. 20 and then I further improve on it.

Figure 9: Sketches

Week 08 02/06/20

This week is going to add colour to it, but the outcome is not that good. So I would focus on the monotone and try on the selected colour version in figure11

Figure 10: Sketches

Figure 11: Sketches

Figure 12: Sketches

Final Outcome
Figure 13: Logo (Colour)

Figure 14: Logo (Black and white)

Figure 15: Logo on colour background

Figure 16: Logo on black background

FEEDBACK

Week 03
28/04/20
Individual feedback: 
After a discussion with Miss Low, She suggested me to further explore wordmark(no.6), with a mascot (no.4,7,12,17) and emblem (16). For mascot, she mentioned that mascot have to come out with many gestures, emotion, posture, so if I am not good at character designing then might need to reconsider it. A mascot also has to have the personality to it, with rationale supported. The emblem seems ok to my selected career option as a farm is always a traditional industry, but I could work on a modern version. Make sure I don't include established year as this is a new brand. Year established in the logo is the way for the brand with a long heritage to build trust with their consumers. For wordmark, I could modify based on an existing typeface, include the typeface beside as a reference. Could work with some visual element to become a combination mark, but every single element has to have rationale to it. By next week show developed sketches with variations and also mood board.


Week 04
05/05/20
Individual feedback: 
Some of my logos seem too complicated. As Ms Low mentioned, human only can take 7 elements at once, hence, keeping the elements in logo less than 5 is the best choice. Most of my logo seems like far away from my mood board. E.g.: the cute mascot does not work on the visual style I presented in my mood board. The name "Farm Lab" usually contain a "Lab" should be somewhere that it is experimental or a futuristic farm. Hence, cancel this option, keep going on "Shady Rest Hut", this name does mean a traditional recreation place like what I presented. In this week's progression, I keep on coming up new things which is good but mostly cannot work, I need to go back to last week, stick closely to the idea "6" (wordmark) and Idea "16" (emblem). Emblem seems nice as the composition visualize the meaning of my brand name, the rice-growing on top provide shade and there is a focus stay in the centre that resting inside make it more memorable. I might need to try on using the farmer hat to signify safe, relaxing, recreation and resting. Next week show up semi-digitalized logo sketches, only make variations on the selected idea but not a new idea.


Week 05
12/05/20
Individual Feedback: 
For my logo, I should identify it but not explaining it as shown in the lecture video. The cart inside the logo does show harvesting and working but not resting. The paddy illustrated from the circles looks good, might be the highlight of my logo. But when I make it curvy to represent shadily, the figure of padi is not clear, it looks more like a climbing plant. No.6 looks too dated maybe is because there are too many elements. Ms Low noticed that there are many illustrative elements in my sketches, she advised that it can keep as illustration elements in the future but not a logo. Overall, there is still too many things happening in my logo, and all share the same attention, it tends to lose its focal point. I might need to reconsider what is my core element.

Week 07
26/05/20
Individual Feedback: 
The mood board should be very selective as my mood board have too much things going on, it creates confusion. What I can do is to write a short description to describe which aspect I am looking at in a particular image. I should focus next is on the illustration as that is the significant part in my case. I need to set a design system such as changing of colour to change flavour/ changing of object to change the theme in my packaging. I also need to consider the shape of the packaging, e.g. cylinder need to consider how to show different side.

REFLECTION

Experience :

Designing an agriculture brand isn't easy for me due to the rare chances to get exposed to such a category. There is not much example in my physical life. Hence, this is quite difficult for me to get references and have a wow outcome. Although I really get to know and exposed to many knowledge that is not commonly known, I still find myself being trapped by my limited knowledge on this topic.

Observation :

Some of my coursemates really did a great job. Some of them have working experince in the industry, not a part-timer but as a junior designer. This is where I found the distance between us especially when we have night study time together, the more I know about them, the more I get impressed by their work done outside the school. Although this is making me stressful it is truly making me learn a lot and grow faster.

Findings : 

I found difficulties in designing my brand, but at the same time, I do learn a lot. Not just the design skills but I appreciate a lot the tips or extra knowledge Ms Low has shared with us. All those website links, designer, studio, Instagram suggestion are really really helpful for me. Actually, I being stuck my sight within Pinterest and Behance for a long time, although I found a few other websites for inspiration, I still found myself being limited. I do realize the importance of looking into designer's article to understand their thoughts and design process in this module as well because the development of a logo is a though work.

FURTHER READING


Basic Identity by Page One

In this book I picked up, I got to look at a diverse range of styles of corporate identities which is a good source of inspiration. The contents are split up into five sections, which are arts & culture, business services, shops, lifestyle and manufacturing.


Here are snapshots of some of my favourites:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Typography- Exercises

Interactive Design: Landing Page Design/ Project 1

Publishing Design - Final Project