Brand Corporate Identity - Project 3/Positioning

Brand Corporate Identity - Project 3/Positioning
14/04/20 - 12/05/20 (Week 1 - Week 6)
Sia Man Sheng
0333877

LECTURE NOTES

Lecture 03: Module Briefing and Introduction
05/05/20 - week 04


This week lecture is about brand positioning. By using a positioning graph, we are able to identify the common competitors, strong competitors as well as our unique area where there is not much competition. We also learnt about brand personality, brand personality could be categorized under 5 main topic: sincerity, excitement, competence, sophistication and ruggedness. Besides, we also learnt about the mood board, there is a stylistic style mood board which suitable for giving a rough feeling to the client and the research mood board which is more specific and more suitable for the actual designing stage.





Lecture 04: Creative Brief & Design Process

12/05/20 - week 05


This week class is about the creative brief. A creative should include a brand story, the rationale for the brand name, brand positioning(including vision and mission, brand message and brand values), targe audience, competitors, differentiator and brand personality. Moreover, we also watch a youtube video that how a logo design process look like. It is not easy, there is a mass amount of adjustment on the sketches to go through and even at the almost finalize stage, the client still has the chance to say no.




INSTRUCTIONS



Week 1
14/04/20

We were given a task to fill up a questionnaire fro self-discovery purpose in order to know what kind of brand we are going to continue in the future projects.






Week 2
21/04/20

In this week, we need to further refine our answer from the questionnaire based on Miss Low's feedback. We were to write a creative brief that will include writing a description and concept for the suggested career option by Miss Low (I selected career option 2). The purpose of this creative brief is to become a head start for our brand story.



Week 6
19/05/20
In this week, we have to present on our final creative brief with the mood board. Below would be my presentation slide.




FEEDBACK

Week 01
14/04/20
Individual feedback: 
Carrer Option 2 seems to be a good and interesting idea, look at the similar organization and their services provided, study "A farm on the little hill", and try to think of unique services I can provide. The name "back to field" could be a tagline bu not a brand name, a brand name must be easily memorable and recognizable.

Week 03
28/04/20
Individual Feedback: 
I might need to locate where is the farm. Can look at the "Kebun-Kebun" in Bangsar as a benchmark and try to create the uniqueness that differentiates my bran from others by looking at "A little farm on the hill" and "Kebun-Kebun". I need to illustrate my brand story by using the word more articulately. Identify what is the major event and the followings. If I want to have the event of reconstructing space then might need a management system or create a guide for visitors. This kind of heavy workload event can only be organised once a year or more.

Week 04
05/05/20
Individual Feedback: 
In terms of the mood board, the interior part seems like not engaging nature, might need to fix that. For visual style, I have decided to go with a more illustration style, it is fine as my location is somewhere near to the city, if it is a farm very far away from the city then I should maintain the traditional aesthetic style. As overall, I should have more focus on the consistency in my mood board, there seems like many things happening in it.

Week 06
19/05/20
Individual Feedback: Ms Low mentioned that is is good for me to put in afford of showing the research data to support my statement and to work it on the details. "Harvest Joy" is more suitable to be used as a tagline as it is more compact and cover more widely in terms of message and meaning. "From farm to table" could be slogan as it is just indicating the process. Besides, for the graph, Airbnb, TripAdvisor and Viator seem like no connections to the brand itself, they are a platform but not a place. For visual style, I need to step back to not creating the character but only shape and form will do. The key is to create originality that could label as my own work. For activities, it is too western style, I should look at the local or Indonesia case study, wider my research area. For the social media post, I need to further complete the caption and content for it. Interior and exterior style as well, try looking for local reference.

REFLECTION

Experience :
This is something new as to imagine that I need to start a brand from zero. It is not that easy as I thought especially I want to work on a modern style recreation place+ farm. Sometimes I think that I might focus on too many things, maybe should think of a simpler idea.

Observation :
I can see how my coursemate has progression well, everyone's ideas are impressing me. This actually made me stressful as I keep my idea is not that good, but still need to take this challenge.

Findings : 
What I have learnt from Ms Low is that she is keen at looking into the details. For example, the mood board to show must have to look very similar together with my vision or imagination, otherwise, it does confuse people and only sticks to one style. Some times I think my mood board are in 1 style but she can tell the difference and always say like "too many things going on here". I think this is what I really need to improve on and learn from others as to avoid the mistakes in the future industry.

FURTHER READING


Basic Stationery by Index Book


This book showcases typography, illustration, shapes and photography of brands, exploring the various projects of stationery design. Each spread of this book displays the brand and client, along with photographs of the projects. I found this book to be interesting to look at as it gives me some inspiration when I come up with ideas and design for my brand's stationery design later on. 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Typography- Exercises

Interactive Design: Landing Page Design/ Project 1

Publishing Design - Final Project