Project 1 | Promotional Packaging | Packaging and Merchandising Design

Project 1 | Promotional Packaging | Packaging and Merchandising Design
18/05/2020 - 8/06/2020 (Week 6 - Week 9)
Sia Man Sheng
0333877

Lecture Notes

Week 6 | Packaging & Branding
18/05/20

Lecture Slide Done by Alizeh & Arissa

Instructions



Idea Generation (1st)
First idea I was intended to promote the ingredient Mcdonald has used to make a happy meal, what have they done in order to make Mcdonald more healthy. I am looking from the point of the company as this would shape a positive image.





Idea generation (2nd)
After consultation with Mr Shamsul, he said that the first idea is too complicated for kids and not engaging, it is difficult and too many steps for them to understand the idea.

Therefore, I changed my intention to raise awareness of protecting endangered species.I have tried leopard and tiger as the design but after that I decided to focus only as local species which is the tiger.


Figure 1: Draft (semi-composition)


Die line
I have work on the dieline as I need a personalized dieline for this design, therefore while looking at so many models and versions of the happy box, I took an older version of the handle and combine it with the current dieline. The reason for doing so is to find a suitable shape for me to showcase the ear of the tiger.

For the fries box, I have also modified it to have the identity of the tiger.
Figure 2: Dieline for happy meal box

Figure 3: Dieline for fries box



First attempt
Figure 4: Happy meal box packaging design (first attempt)

Final Attempt




Figure 5: Happy meal box packaging design (version 1)

Figure 6: Happy meal box packaging design (version 2)



Figure 7: Fries box packaging design


Figure 8: mockup

Final Outcome

Figure 9: Mockup (flat lay)

Figure 10: Mockup (front and back)

Figure 11: Mockup (side)

Figure 12: Mockup (fries box)




Feedback

Week 06
Mr Shamsul comment that my idea would be too complex for kids, the level of engagement to far apart. so the kids might lose interest and create confusion. The first idea is not clear enough to deliver my message, and it needs a very strong storyline in order to support it. The second idea is clear in terms of conveying a message but just too complex and not so convincing. There is too much work for it to be done, it is not engaging and not fun. He also mentioned that I have done good research on a happy meal. Besides, I need to have further educational action in my idea 2, probably could apply anaglyph 3D to reduce the complexity as well.

Week 07
After I showed my new idea of protecting endangered species, Mr Shamsul said it is good to go, good idea.

Week 08
The message is direct, mock-up looks real. Maybe try to apply red on the side as it is losing the brand identity on my design. But after I said I want it to have the whole yellow so it looks like a little tiger, Mr Shamsul said I just submit both ideas at the end. Remember to add the happy meal logo to identify it is a happy meal, Also the icons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Typography- Exercises

Interactive Design: Landing Page Design/ Project 1

Publishing Design - Final Project